2017 Leadership Committee Minutes


The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not a bully; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly” – Jime Rohn.

Dean Updates

  • Highlighted activities over the past year
  • Discussed P3 (Public, Private Partnership) concept and benefits it offers our college and communities; for example, industry/public partners can provide resources allowing for diversification of funding and access to technologies we do not have or could not afford on our own; he shared plans for a second building at the Grand Rapids research site with companies whose work aligns with our mission, for example, drug development from our research. Please forward ideas to G. Kelley as we structure a communications strategy around P3
  • Expecting to hear a joint announcement by end of the year regarding McLaren building a hospital on campus; it will offer both research and educational opportunities for MSU
  • Dean to approach Sparrow with P3 concept to gauge interest in building an academic or research building on their site as a potential partner
  • Plans to engage the Osteopathic, Nursing and Veterinary colleges to create synergy with a One-Health concept affecting scholarships, residency certification opportunities, etc.

Curriculum Update - Sousa

  • Reviewed statistics with noted key improvements in the meaningful learning experience, faculty and student interactions as well as extension rates significantly decreased
  • Approximately 40 students are struggling; encouraged faculty to join the learning societies to share expertise/mentorship
  • This curriculum is an attempt to think about the work we want students to do intellectually and practically; both faculty and students have achieved remarkable goals

Faculty Affairs and Development – Barry

  • AAMC has a 12- month program which develops early to mid-career faculty in best practices and theoretical models of effective educational leadership. His office will match funding; application deadline is November 30; ideal to have two faculty members attend

Feedback on Faculty Forward Progress: Chairs and Division Chiefs

Jed Magen:

  • Researchers were not well represented due to challenges with geographic proximity and feeling isolated; they developed a sharing seminar, which resulted in receiving an RO1 and other grants.
  • Reformatted recruitment structure by grouping individuals in clusters of six to listen to a presentation on East Lansing followed with lunch; hired our top eight as a result. Suggested Communications create a commercial video on why East Lansing is awesome; the use of realtors to sell the area was also mentioned

Bengt Arnetz (Family Medicine):

  • QWC assessment
  • Vitality and efficiency measurements conducted in department and clinical environments
  • Established “Ships”; employee-ship and leader-ship to lead yourself and co-workers
  • Recommended co-learning due to various communities and offered to distribute slides upon request to other chairs/departments and to also receive information

Renuka Gera (Pediatrics):

  • Recruitment and retention of clinical staff difficult due to small size and numerous specialties; partner support is critical and Keith is working to strengthen relationships
  • Improving clinical environments, especially for sub-specialties, is an ongoing focus with much needed collaboration with health partners
  • Other suggestions for recruitment/retention:
    • The Conrad 30/J-1 Visa Waiver Program gives a person the opportunity to switch from J1 to H1 visas; which is less restrictive. Michigan Council of Health created underutilized community footprints, which includes the health clinic and Sparrow Health Center, where the Conrad 30’s can target specialists
    • Design a position based on the candidate’s interests versus a recruiter selling us
    • Identify/engage people in residency and GROW YOUR OWN! Be systematic
    • Incentivize residents to return to MSU by offering tuition/loan forgiveness, etc.

Michael McLeod (Surgery):

  • A sub-committee focused on recruitment/retention, clinical practice and governance
  • To improve interactions with the Health Team, we approached Rick Ward with our desire to become more involved in running the clinic; this resulted in creating a task force, which identified deficiencies, addressed issues, etc., and developing a leadership structure, allowing new hires as well as better organization.
  • Continue to have structural issues of not receiving money we are expending; this is being addressed along with improved financial performance data
  • Identifying funding models to recruit in critical areas by developing strong relationships with the enterprises enjoying the revenue from these professionals; however, the challenge now is retaining these faculty members

Action for Next Meeting

  • Decide on a forum to share failures - Jed
  • Aggregate Faculty Forward best practices for possible implementation; consider conducting a focused survey or similar to the original Faculty Forward for additional input
  • Retention/recruitment/diversity mechanisms - Wanda

Next meeting is January 4, 2018.


Dean Updates
  • Shared governance is giving various groups of people a share in key decision‐making processes. This will define the college by presenting the right topics in the leadership meetings at the unit level
  • Unity Week was an opportunity to bring first and second year students together to focus on how their goals align with the vision of the college and their own individual ways to connect with each other
  • Opening of GRRC – community turned out in force; wonderful and inspiring speeches
  • McLaren wants to build a hospital on our campus; Dean and Walt visited and met with CEO. There will be an update in the next couple of weeks
  • Sparrow – meeting weekly with Joe Ruth recognizing there are many areas where we can do better. Momentum is building and will have a report next meeting
  • Gibby vs. Parky fundraiser generated 1.2 million dollars
Web Accessibility Update: Geraud Plantegenest
  • Units can reach out to obtain direction for specific videos and images to share on Willing to visit divisions/departments/units to present on the topic of web accessibility resources. Please reach out to schedule a session.
  • Use as a resource to clean up web content
  • Offer a series of webinars and seminars for faculty and staff – getting to know what web accessibility is about
Feedback on Faculty Forward Progress: Chairs and Division Chiefs

Rick Leach:

  • Added discussion on finances to agenda for budget
  • Assembled an Executive Committee and brought in clinical partners as members
  • Conducting new strategic planning as result of growing department

Claudia Holzman:

  • Presented Faculty Forward results to faculty to get input from those who did not participate
  • Clarified criteria needed to get promoted and made this part of annual review
  • Asked promoted faculty to share their promotion packet to assist with successful submissions
  • Cascade information back to faculty to help them see the alignment and invited the dean to annual meeting
  • Communications/External Communications to create department/division/unit and community of the month and share college wide video; Epi/Bio to be the first

Jack Lipton:

  • Minority faculty retention and recruitment scored low – TSMM embraced better communicating strategy and Vic Irving is a leader in this effort to ensure outreach is conducted to historically underrepresented in medicine
  • Discussion about principle of intentionality for recruitment; have Vic share perspectives with leadership. Should we identify outstanding student who are URM to solidify diversity pipeline. Identify tactics big and small; unit and college (diversity mixers). Wanda to work with group with help from Rick and Vic

Suresh Mukherji:

  • Cohort comparison – clarified promotion pathway to faculty
  • Addressed recruiting best people through GII and partner with other
  • Increased governance with vice chair roles and re‐examined mission and vision statements

Francesca Dwamena:

  • Discussed faculty recruitment/retention at faculty meeting and retreat to define high quality faculty
  • Clinical practice improvement – discussion with HT to improve communication. PCIP positive. Hyung and Laura involved in finances, fostering communications, location requests for optimizing and
Action for Next Meeting
  • Continue to hear from other chairs/directors and identify best practices and challenges of problem
  • Email Hyung Kim’s clinical update to members and we will open the November meeting with this discussion. In the meantime, you are encouraged to reach out with any

Next meeting is November 2, 2017.


Dean Updates
  • Implemented annual the review process and will build upon it. Implementing 5-year department review process and excited about the opportunity for feedback between dean’s office and faculty in order to be more effective and
  • P3’s bring community and industry to support the academic mission and a group wants to build a facility in Grand Rapids next to the research center. This will provide Chris Contag a facility for precision medicine; theranostics, etc., and help fulfill the biomedical
  • Continuing to meet with health partners and using the five-step process exemplified in the “5 Dysfunctions of a Team” of establishing trust with Sparrow. We agreed to have candid conversations and set timelines for announcements from both the President’s office and from Sparrow towards the end of September regarding three new initiatives – great progress
  • Discussed navigating the national landscape and challenges facing our
    • Consistency of policy should reflect our diverse
    • Improve
    • Create comfortable environment within departments where people can come forward and gain insight from concerns, or bring to leadership group and/or to
Best Practices – Planning a Faculty Meeting – B. Arnetz & Cross Campus Retreat – K. English Discussion items from Bengt:
  • Create priority theme/s with teams and a team leader; mandatory attendance; homework with team assignments and materials distributed prior to the retreat
  • Helpful to have a department person act as coordinator for the retreat
  • Prepare a year to six months in advance
  • Meeting held every three years in order to implement established objectives
  • Off-site is important
Discussion items from English:
  • Annual event to build cross campus partnerships with colleagues attending from other colleges
  • Different focus each year: research; education; fellowship training; specific campus highlights, advocacy,
  • An essential model for multi campus, research, clinical and other partnerships
  • Our campus locations offer a unique footprint our competitors don’t have
  • Standard format with small group discussions and feedback from two to three key items
Diversity Update - Lipscomb
  • Reviewed 2017 entering class demographics along with faculty demographics
Next meeting is October