College of

Checklist for International Health Experiences

  1. See Global Health for College of Human Medicine sponsored programs, scholarships and websites of other organizations that provide international programs for medical students. This is not an endorsement of other programs but a listing of sites for programs other medical students have used. Additional opportunities may be found here.

  2. The policy of MSU College of Human Medicine is that students must complete their required third year clerkships and be in their fourth year before they can take any electives. A year-long experience abroad is best after the third year.

    After you have found an international clinical elective or clinical research, discuss this opportunity with your Director of Student Programs (DSP). Your DSP will let you know if this is an acceptable off campus experience.

    The Off Campus Clerkship requires a program description, dates, and a letter from the international site stating that you have been approved for the elective.

  3. Submit your letter of approval from the international site which includes the clerkship dates, and a brief program description to your community administrator. This information will be attached to the Inter Campus/Off Campus Clerkship Request form and will be sent to the appropriate department for approval. If approved, the department will forward the information to the CHM Records Officer who will return the information to the appropriate community administrator.

  4. Clinical students must apply for study abroad at least 6 weeks before departure through the MSU Office for Education Abroad (EA). To do this, please complete this online rotation entry form, which is automatically submitted to EA. On this form, you must provide firm arrival and departure dates, city/country, and indicate your community administrator for approval for evaluation for the college.

    A representative from EA will then create a program online based on your entry form, and will email you with instructions on how to submit an online EA application. You will also be asked to provide a cost estimate if you wish to request financial aid (EA sends your request to the Office of Financial Aid.) EA will charge you $300 for CHM required evacuation/repatriation and extra health insurance through HTH.

    If you plan your study experience in a country for which the US State Department has issued a travel warning then please follow the steps outlined by the Office for Education Abroad medical rotations webpage and EA must approve your travel.

    Students may check the Education Abroad website for information on scholarships. Follow directions to apply and note deadlines. No essay is required.

  5. You will need a valid passport and you may need a visa to enter a country. You should apply for both months in advance. Check your post office for passport applications. See useful information on obtaining a passport. Check the State Department website for visa information.

  6. At least 2 months before you travel, we recommend that you visit the MSU Travel Clinic at Olin Health Center or another Travel Clinic for advice on immunizations and preventive medications, if they are needed. MSU Office for Education Abroad policy is that if immunizations or medications are appropriate, they recommend, but do not require, that you get these before your departure. In some cases, you need immunizations to get into or out of certain countries. Call (517) 353-3161 for an appointment, to get some information, visit the Travel Clinic website or The World Health Organization. Be prepared to bring your immunization record with you to the clinic. (If you are at a community campus contact the area county health department which can advise you about travel immunizations.)

  7. The Office for Education Abroad (EA) will have your emergency contact info on file from your EA application, should an emergency arise in the country abroad. Prior to departure, EA will also ask you to complete this online on-site contact info form, which is used only in cases of an emergency. If an emergency occurs, refer to the card you will receive by email before you go abroad, and call COLLECT the MSU Emergency Assistance line at (517) 353-3784. This number can be accessed world wide at all times. Emergencies are defined as serious threat to safety, security or health. Your evacuation/repatriation insurance card will also provide numbers to call.

  8. The College of Human Medicine strongly recommends that you prepare for your global health experience. Read the online EA Student Handbook on safety and preparation. We encourage you to also prepare to take advantage of the cross cultural opportunities you will have while abroad, recommendations can be found here.